Shadaan Mohammed Saipillai
– Co-founder and Partner
Shadaan is a lawyer with nearly two decades of legal experience and he focusses in the areas of strategic corporate investments including assisting international companies on their India strategy from inception to exit, M&A, joint ventures and general corporate and commercial transactions. He also regularly advises and assists with corruption and compliance investigations and represents clients in disputes resolution and complex commercial litigation matters.
He has been involved in representing and advising various participants in the real estate sector advising them on a host of matters including advice on foreign direct investment in the real estate sector, structuring investments, acquisition and development, due diligence on immovable properties and negotiating leases.
Shadaan advises on high end transactions cutting across various sectors including manufacturing, IT, ITES, retail, infrastructure, construction and banking. His clients include multinational and domestic companies, funds, property developers, investors, promoter groups and HNI’s.
Shadaan holds a LLM from the prestigious Queen Mary University of London.
- A large multi-national corporation in the IT sector headquartered in USA, in relation to establishing its presence in India including advising on Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) regulations and setting up a wholly owned subsidiary.
- A multi-national corporation in the technology sector headquartered in USA, in relation to Indian employment laws and assisting with employee corruption and compliance investigations
- A multi-national corporation in the business of manufacturing interconnect products, in relation to its contract with a company based in Indonesia and legal proceedings for recovery of money from the Indonesian company.
- The Bankruptcy Administrator of a corporation based in Sweden, in relation to recovery of money due from a large Indian manufacturing company by instituting litigation proceedings before various courts and tribunals in Chennai and Mumbai under the Commercial Courts Act and the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code.
- High net worth individual investor based in Coimbatore, in relation to his investments in a company in the IT sector, including carrying out due diligence on the target company and reviewing the Share Subscription and Shareholder’s Agreement.
- A large Indian corporation in the business of manufacturing stainless steel products, in relation to reviewing and negotiating a Trade Mark License agreement with a renowned Indian Premier League’s Cricket team.
- A leading private equity fund in relation to its investment in a warehousing business with a joint venture partner based in Chennai holding large parcel of land including carrying out a property title due diligence and advising in relation to the transaction.
- Advocate, Bar Council of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry – Admitted in 2001
- Solicitor, Supreme Court of England and Wales (non-practicing)
Arun Kurian Joseph
– Co-founder and Partner
Arun practices in the area of disputes resolution and litigation with specific focus on direct and indirect taxation. He has nearly two decades of experience and has worked as the standing counsel for the Income Tax Department in Chennai between the years 2008 to 2017. He has extensive tax litigation experience including assisting and representing clients across various sectors before the revenue authorities, customs, excise and service tax appellate tribunal (CESTAT) and high courts.
- A large Indian corporation in the business of manufacturing automobile components, in relation to central excise and service tax issues before the CESTAT and the Madras High Court.
- A multi-national corporation manufacturing petroleum products, in relation to customs issues before the Madras High Court.
- A large public sector undertaking in relation to central excise and service tax issues before the CESTAT, Bangalore.
- A leading group in the hotel business, in relation to income tax dispute before the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal (ITAT) and the Madras High Court.
- A large public sector undertaking, in relation to income tax issues before the ITAT and the Madras High Court.
- A Government undertaking, in relation to income tax dispute before the ITAT.
- A multi-national corporation headquartered in USA, in relation to real estate transactions including negotiating and finalizing lease deed.
- A leading public listed company in the business of loans and finance, in relation to central excise dispute before the Madras High Court.
- An IT company, in relation to drafting and reviewing commercial contracts.
- Advocate, Bar Council of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry – Admitted in 2002
- Executive Committee Member, Revenue Bar Association